Here at Corngreaves we passionately believe that all children should learn to read before they read to learn. For that very reason early reading is taught through the delivery of ‘Read, Write Inc’ Phonics
Read Write Inc. Phonics
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 3 to 7 year-olds learning to read and write and for 7 and 8 year-olds needing to catch up quickly. Although reading is taught using synthetic phonics, the programme is so much more than that. It covers all of the new National Curriculum requirements for language and literacy.
In Pre-School, children learn the first 31 sounds in short daily sessions.
In Reception all children:
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- Take home Phonics storybooks to share
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner.
By the end of Year 1 all children are accurate and speedy readers and ready to move onto our Literacy and Language programme.
Fidelity to the teaching programme, rigorous assessment, tracking and tutoring ensures that the school guarantees progress for every child. One-to-one tutoring ensures that no children are left behind. Children have positive early experiences of learning to read - they are successful and progress quickly.